Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 64 FOS~ 7 years Gotch Day for Shad!

GREAT news today....sit down:)  Not only is Selah doing much better~no storming~ sat in car seat for almost 2 hours while I did range of motion and stayed calm...  BUT her regular doctor was back and gave us more info on her MRI.  There is IMPROVEMENT in her brain since the last MRI done back in early November before the start of the fish oil study!!!!!!!!!!!  I've asked for a copy of the MRI report so I can explain it better and figure out what it means but I got the impression that this was not a usual occurrence:)  I believe the improvement is in the white matter area/PVL which is great!  I'll have more details tomorrow.

Her blood work got to the lab too late to be ran today but we should have the results of it tomorrow also, regarding the inflammation level.  Right now we know things are being done correctly and we can tell from how well she is doing.  When we started the fish oil in NY, there was overnight improvement as far as no storming and a calmness/alertness.  It seems to be like that again.


I am so thankful that last week is over.  Last Thursday night I could not have felt any lower and hopeless....thank you for your prayers!  They gave us the strength to get back up and keep going.  I am so thankful for God's presence.  Living like we are, it's not like I have much "alone time" so I've learned just to reach out to God in my heart, even when I'm busy doing something else.  I just kept calling on God, just like on the day of the accident...."Oh God Help"....  and He did!  Sure we opened a new bottle of fish oil BUT He had helped me already!  If I didn't have Him with me last Friday when Selah was storming & vibrating all day I could not have stayed at the hospital but we made it through and then on Friday night opened the new bottles and now things are so much better again.   So we think somehow the fish oil or the mixing agent get contaminated during the two weeks or so it is used, that's why we see these big improvements when a new bottle is open.  We never had this problem before, and don't feel it is the fish oil but the way it is handled.  We think it all has been resolved now. 

Tonight I realized that today is Shad's "GOTCHA DAY"  Today marks 7 years, right about this time that I met my little guy!  (it was 9 am China time which is 12 hours ahead of EST- so actually I met him on the 8th in China but it was the 7 th here!) 

This is Shad & me seconds after we met:)  He looks a little concerned....."are you my mother?"  YES!!!!!  I am!!!!!

I went to China alone.  Sam was not yet 2 yrs old and got so sick so easily we were afraid for him to go and we were afraid to leave him and go by ourselves.  Right at the end I almost took Steve but the swine flu was really bad that year and we just felt like it was the safest thing for me to go by myself.  It made a woman out of me LOL!  There was another couple there, the wife had her husband, her mom and her teenage son and she cried everyday...I thought I was going to have to slap her...for real!!!

It was a lonely time for me but an amazing one... walking into that cold Chinese orphanage and walking out with this funny little boy who'd stolen our hearts.....what an amazing day!  I will never forget that day!  I realized in just about 3 seconds that...
A.  Shad wasn't completely blind
B. He probably wasn't mentally delayed either !!!  (as he tried to take the lamp apart)
C.  He liked to EAT!!!!

Shad's first American word was MORE  as in "more food"  he ate grown men under the table.  He was the hit of the adoption group (as he always is the hit of any group)  and the men liked to see how much he'd eat....Me....well I was changing the diapers (with WORMS in them) after all the eating...I QUIT eating LOLOL  (for real~ saltines were it for me for about 2 weeks!)

Shad has been a blessing to our family.  It's hard for me to remember he was actually adopted, it doesn't seem possible this kid,, that is so like his dad, came from the literal other side of the world!  Chengdu China is almost exactly on the other side of the world from Florida!   He is the life of any party and he has never met a stranger.  Shad (short for Shadrach) has an incredible self confidence, he just walks up to people and starts conversations.  He finds himself interesting and is sure that others do too!  He has an unique ability to be himself and not feel under pressure to be any other way...I adore that about him!   Shad has a way of dealing with life, that goes far beyond his 9 yrs.  He is an "old soul"  We've had some deep conversations about how he came to be adopted into our family.  The first conversation came at just 4 yrs old...I wasn't ready.... but he has dealt with questions.  I think of his birth parents and who they missed out on knowing...just because he was not "perfect"   But we have been blessed to know and love him for these past 7 years.  We're so glad he came into our lives.....we are the family that we are, because he is a part of it!

Shad had some gift cards to spend so we went Toys R Us and he bought himself some more Nerf Guns.  He has quite the arsenal going!!  Steve gave him a gift card of his and he was also able to get a Xbox Lego Game Batman 2 DC (has all the comic heroes in it)  He is a happy boy tonight:)  I also told him today was Christmas Day for Ukraine so he said he was helping them to celebrate:)

Today is also our 7th year anniversary of Jon pastoring GRACE CHURCH!  Yes his first Sunday was actually the day ( Monday in China) I picked up Shad from the orphanage...Big day for the Clanton family!!!!!!

So tonight I am a thankful woman!  Selah is doing much better and this is a great day to celebrate 7 yrs of Shad being our son!!! 

17 comments:

  1. I'm curious. Does the hospital admit the mishandling of the Fish Oil? I think it should be obvious to them that with Selah doing so much better that it has to be the fish oil. It makes me want to say, "see I told you so." But mama, I know you won't do that. Way to go Selah; so happy for you and your precious family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they are the ones who alerted us that the fish oil was out overnight. We did find it out one other time. We will know for sure when we get the inflamtion blood test back

      Delete
  2. Happy gotcha day, Shad!

    And happy MRI day, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome news all around!!! Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Shad! What an amazing little boy, and so blessed to be your son (and a blessing, too)!
    I am so delighted to hear of Selah's improvement and the relief it is to you & Jon, also the prospect of some answers which should be a help when you have her at home.
    I am blown away by the many things you have been through in this long, drawn-out situation, enough to crush anyone. I hope your neck/shoulder are feeling better these days if not completely resolved. For my neck pain (I was recently rear-ended in an accident by a much heavier car going much faster than mine)... I rub with Blue Emu ointment as it doesn't irritate my skin, and apply moist heat. It helps.
    Will continue earnest prayer and petition on Selah's behalf and of course for all of you. Our God is awesome, no doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Shad! What an amazing little boy, and so blessed to be your son (and a blessing, too)!
    I am so delighted to hear of Selah's improvement and the relief it is to you & Jon, also the prospect of some answers which should be a help when you have her at home.
    I am blown away by the many things you have been through in this long, drawn-out situation, enough to crush anyone. I hope your neck/shoulder are feeling better these days if not completely resolved. For my neck pain (I was recently rear-ended in an accident by a much heavier car going much faster than mine)... I rub with Blue Emu ointment as it doesn't irritate my skin, and apply moist heat. It helps.
    Will continue earnest prayer and petition on Selah's behalf and of course for all of you. Our God is awesome, no doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad today was a good day! Davis and I are looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I re-read my previous comment and meant to say "but you have not been crushed", have stood firm in faith and dependency upon the Lord. 2 Cor. 4:8
    I'll bet Jon's sermons are powerful these days, borne out of hard experience and able to relate to others who have pressures in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN AND HOORAY!!!!! I'm so thrilled about the MRI!!!! That is FABULOUS news!!!! Love, prayers and fish oil...what a great combo!
    Happy Gotcha Day to Shad and to all of you.
    Mega love and mega prayers from New Jersey. ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you want to hang her MRI on her bed so "some people " can see the change, the improvement with a sign that says we are not crazy parents! and set up a continuous video of what she was doing in NY? I know I am not being nice, sigh. I am so happy she is doing better and I know progress will continue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww what a sweet story! Happy Gotcha Day! The photos of him make me smile so much--and my son keeps asking when he's going to get to play legos with Shad! :) (Who also has never met a stranger lol I think our boys will get along fabulously!)

    SO glad to hear the great news on the MRI and that she had a good day :) Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very important to have contacts of good hospitals when you are travelling. This is much more important in Eastern Europe countries like Ukraine, because quality of medical services  there is often not very good. I created a directory of Ukrainian hospitals you may rely on while your travel to Ukraine. This travel directory also contains very useful information on accommodation, entertainments and transfers in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always loved the photos of Shad. His huge grin/smile always makes me smile! Now I want to get to know this amazing kid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I celebrate Shad's happy anniversary with you. I love the story of how you sort of walked backward into adopting him. A little treasure- happy to know him indirectly through your blog. Glad things are looking up for you, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to all for Shad's anniversary. I love the story of how you walked in the back door to adopt him. I enjoy learning more about your little treasure. Glad things are looking up a little bit for you too, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Shad, glad to see you in the posts your Mom has online...Happy Gotcha Day...My cousins are the parents of 3 China Dolls from different areas of China.....
    YIPPEE for the MRI, and the fish oil being given the right way....God is So Faithful...He sees....
    I am praying for great results in the blood work too....
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops! Goofed Again. Happy Gotcha Day, not Happy Birthday. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete