Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 68 Fish OIl Study ( and book review)

Today Jon took the day shift and spent the day with Selah.  He was able to take her outside and she seemed very content.  We have been reading and discussing various meds that have shown some improvements in some patients.  We have decided to try her on Ritalin.  It works on a child like Selah differently tha it does on a child that has ADD.  In a child like Selah it has shown to help make them more alert.   The other med we tried a few weeks ago didn't work at all but this works differently on the brain so maybe it will help her. 

Jon came and picked us up and we went to this great place called Town Center...oh my....lots of places to eat and stores.  I got a manicure/pedicure....and just like the Russian lady who cut my hair that day before Christmas when I was so down....the lady who did my mani/pedi was a Vietnamese Christian.  She wrote our names down in her bible to pray for Selah.  She kept telling me "not to worry I will pray now every day"  While my nails were drying ( my REAL nails btw!  Nothing like a bit of MRSA to keep my hands out of my mouth LOLOLOL)  she came around and gave me a massage and I could hear her praying under her breath....it took all the self control I had not to just bawl my eyes out....  I love God's people!

Jon found the best book at Barnes & Noble!   http://www.amazon.com/The-Grace-Effect-Corruption-Unbelief/dp/1595554408    The Grace effect by Larry Alex Taunton

IF you have ever adopted or plan to adopt from Ukraine this is such a great book!  You will find yourself standing in the hallway of the SDA....it talks about the corruption and the "gifts" or bribes...(yes for the record we did knowingly give a "gift"  LOL  at that point we were at, it was a NO brainer!!  And we would do it again in a heartbeat!)  So many of the descriptions just brought back so many many memories.  I LOVE Ukraine despite all of its problems.  I didn't feel like that about China.  But Ukraine got in my heart!

This writer Larry Alex Taunton is a apologist and he regularly debates the "new atheists" like Christopher Hitchens (before his death)   So this book also is about the GRACE of God in an orphan's life and shows how ONLY Christianity reaches out to the world to change it!  What a GREAT book!!!!    I was fightig tears throughout is as I sat in Selah's room tonight reading it....

So since Jon did the day I stayed with her late tonight.  She was unusually alert for the time and she watched her DVD of Baby Praise intently!  I felt like she wanted to be held and she did:)  I sat her up and pulled her into my lap and she just got so calm.  Later I had her torso supported by my knees and she totally held her head up for quite a while!  She would need some assistance at times but did better than I have seen her do since we have been in Florida!  After I put her to bed, I went and found the nurse, I actually thought maybe they had already started the Ritalin and she was responding!  But it doesn't start till tomorrow morning.  I was just thrilled with her alertness and how she would look me in the eye.  One thing that really bothered me is her arms were so tight tonight.  They were drawn up to her sides and bent in.  I did alot of ROM (range of Motion) and ticked her off good!  She has 100% ROM but she just goes back to that position.  Jon said she was not tight when he was there and that the therapists remarked on how loose she was.  Tone is a funny thing!

Please pray that Ritalin will  help Selah......we will not quit praying or trying to find medical help for her ever!  Sometimes it is trial and error.  But we will try things that have sciectific data supporting some positive changes in patients like Selah.  I'm not a big drug fan but at this point, we will try things and see how she reacts!  There are a few more drugs to try that have brought help to some children.  But we hope this one will help her!

4 comments:

  1. Please check out Dr Mary Newport MD, Neonatalogist and her work with Coconut Oil and Ketones and help for damaged brains. Her husband with early onset Alzheimer's has achieved dramatic improvements. She also uses it with her premature infants. It can't hurt and could possibly help. Praying as always for Selah and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please check out Dr Mary Newport MD, Neonatalogist and her work with Coconut Oil and Ketones and help for damaged brains. Her husband with early onset Alzheimer's has achieved dramatic improvements. She also uses it with her premature infants. It can't hurt and could possibly help. Praying as always for Selah and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome how God's people are placed in your path when you need them, even when you don't know you need them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome how God's people are placed in your path when you need them, even when you don't know you need them!

    ReplyDelete