Friday, January 11, 2013

My Real Life

The great thing is, if one can, to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions in one's "own" or "real" life. The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life.” ~C. S. Lewis

When I saw this quote, I couldn't help but think of my life......and the title of my blog.  Back four years ago when I started my blog, I really had an issue coming up with a name for it.  I asked my brother in law, Jim because he is really good with words and he came up with some funny names like "Yvonne's Yarns" .  But this title came to me, because I live a real life....well  I didn't know how real my life was going to get! 

We are tempted to think "when I do this" or "when I finish this"  my life will really be perfect.  But it never is "perfect"  it's just life.  I'm a tidy person (OCD person) so I always feel like life is perfect if my house/yard is clean, closets straighten, garden done, kids clean and in perfectly ironed and matching clothes with fresh hair cuts.....so with all these kids, that rarely happens....  Living out of a Ronald McDonald House, or a hotel room, with a child in the hospital,  and kids wearing whatever happens to be clean, and me going over two months on a manicure, and a husband who needed a hair cut two weeks ago would not be my idea of "life" it would be more my idea of an "interruption"of my life!  But guess what?  THIS is my life like it or not!

And where/what ever you find yourself in, is your life, like it or not!  Personally I'd prefer things to be different in my life but I don't want another life....  So we all have to make the best of where we are....  You only get one life. Don't waste your life by wishing it away.   Do the best with the life you have.

I love hearing stories of folks who took the "talents in their hands" , their lives and did great things for God.  Even when there did not seem much "in their hands"  I recently read in the book "Reckless Faith"  of families who had nothing yet would take kids in their homes to raise them.  I read of an older retired man who started a church in the worst area of a Mexican town,they used the talents in his hands, worked within their circumstances to do great things for God.  That is what I want to do! 

I have dreams in my heart that may never be fulfilled now....but that doesn't mean I'm just going to "lay down and die"   I may never get the chance to work overseas, run an orphanage, but I'm going to serve God where I am at by serving my family and being open to whatever God brings across my path. 

So I encourage you, use what is in your hands for God.  It may not seem like much, but God can take your faithfulness and make it a story that will encourage others ......

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Yvonne. Your words are a huge encouragement and important reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for articulating how I feel about living life--real and genuine...wherever and whenever I am.

    ReplyDelete