Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 115 FOS ~ Great pictures and an answered prayer

Last night I had just finished writing my blog and had just logged off when I went into Selah's room and saw this.....

 
So I moved her a tiny bit and the ONE hand went right back to her mouth!
 

 
Then I totally moved her to see what she would do and the hand went back and she made a sucking sound!!!

 
That is PURPOSEFUL movement!!!!!!!
 
 
Her nurse had also seen her do it earlier:)  She hasn't done it yet again but she did it for over an hour!!!!!!
 
 
Today was a great day and here is Selah working out on tummy time!
 
 
She is rocking her new shirt:)

 
She has grown so much since the accident, from size 3 to a size 6 or 7!  No muscle atrophy with this kid!!!
 
Today was just wonderful for Selah and she is more and more alert every day.  She still needs prayers but being off Valium for almost a week now is the best thing ever!  I'm all about less medicine if it can be done safely!
 
Here is Sarah on her Christmas present !
Going....

Going....

 
Gone!
 
She LOVES this "peanut therapy ball"!  Thanks Bell Shore Baptist!!!  This is her absolute favorite thing to play with/on.  She can see it from a foot away which is shocking but we've tested her and she lunges for it a foot away from her face!  Of course it is BLUE and big:)  She spends hours a day on it!
 
 
Brotherly love (with daddy laying on the floor playing with Sarah in the background)

Awww

Shad carried my books at the library today.  I am reading with my reading material if Selah ends up in the hospital after surgery.  We are hoping for an out patient procedure and will find out on Friday.
 
 
Sam has learned to squat, he thinks it is funny and is trying to learn to jump like a frog:)  This is a boy who didn't walk until he was 3 years old:)

 
I have all these great pictures of the little ones but none of Steve, he has been so busy doing schoolwork.  He is amazing me with his love/attention he is showing to Russian.  He will work on it for hours.  If we ever go back he can be our translator:) 
 
Homeschooling has gone smoothly, I just checked Shad's tests and he made 100's on 4 of them and only missed one question on Math.  They both have applied themselves like I've never seen and it's making it easy for me.  Steve has made a B or above on all 7 of his tests he has already taken !!  I'm really proud of my boys!
 
So please keep praying for Selah!  Pray that she will continue to make the thumb sucking motions.  I never thought I'd want one of my kids to suck their thumb but I do!  Sucking is great, she was doing it in NY but like many other skills she didn't do in while in the "Rehab" hospital.  She was never given a chance to do so.  It made her swallow last night.  The hand movement is BIG and if it continues a major good thing.  I know kids often do something, to never do it again when there is brain damage, Sam certainly has done that but I'm praying that this will continue with Selah:)
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Hooray for thumb sucking! Has she always sucked the left thumb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she never had done it but I think it is so cute for her to do it now:)

      Delete
  2. I wish I could "love" this post...so exciting and significant! Thank you for sharing. (P.S. Are your plants back outside now?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's never gotten cold, I guess it's coming this weekend or so...I probably will just cover them up.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures!!! Go Selah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! That sweet thumb determined to make it to the mouth even when Mommy teases it away. :-) Always thankful for the good news, and always praying even when the news is not so good (maybe especially then). I don't comment on every post but I do read every post, and I'm planning to make that yummy-sounding Spinach Shells recipe you shared in the previous post. :-) Our kids love pasta, and this could be a good way to disguise spinach, which they don't love. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost shouted when I saw the pic (my sleeping family would not appreciate). Praying for more purposeful movement of sweet Selah. Praising Him in this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the photos!! It's amazing to see the progress of all of the children.
    I'm happy that Selah's determination is shining through again! It's great that every time you moved her, she popped that thumb back in.
    Love and prayers for all en route to heaven and Florida from NJ. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost shouted when I saw the thumb sucking pic (which I'm sure my sleeping family would not appreciate :-)). Will keep praying for purposeful movement for sweet Selah. Praising Him in this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those pictures of Selah!!!!! Not just purposeful movement, but thumb sucking is all about calming yourself, so she it sounds like she is finding ways to calm herself - that's pretty awesome!

    Blessings,
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Praise to God! So happy :) Will keep her and your family in my prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! Praise God! So happy to hear this and will keep Selah and your family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWWWW! She looks absolutely adorable :) I'm so happy for you all!

    What great kids you have.....many prayers always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have that peanut ball on the Labor & Delivery unit I work on. It has so many uses! I've never seen one outside our unit before. I love that Selah is using it, and seems to love it so!

    ReplyDelete