Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day 91 Fish Oil Study ~ Selah went to church!

 
All together again!

 
 

 
Nap time look at those arms and hands!  Even tho the angle is crazy:)  I love her nice relaxed tone can't wait to get her in therapy!
 



Selah is doing fantastic, her tone is NORMAL in her arms, elbows, and hands!  NO clenching her hands, nothing more than what she did before the accident (she tended to have her hands in fists ~ check out the first picture we have of her on the sidebar)  We are just thrilled and almost in disbelief!  When we go to see our pediatrician, I am going to ask that her meds (that had been upped a few weeks ago) be brought back down to where she was at.  She had been on them at a higher level for more than a week before we came home and there had been a little change but not much so I do not think this is from the drugs themselves at all.  In fact thanks to all the craziness of coming home and the confusion of the first night, she didn't get all her doses that day at all and yet she began relaxing almost immediately! 

Well I woke up late this morning.  Jon had left early to get to the prison and I went back to sleep...woke up at 9:30 am it was a mad rush...  I had not made up my mind about Selah going to church or not, I have a hard time making decisions right now and I just couldn't do it...it sorta just happened:)  Our nurse got her ready and off we went.  Of course as soon as I came in with her, I started bawling.  It was her first time out in public and our church is totally accepting but it was hard for me.  And of course the memories rolled over me...  memories of the last time we were all in church together....it was not easy but at the same time, I couldn't help but think "she's alive and she is here!"  So as always lots of mixed emotions for me. 

We have a dear older German couple who live in Canada and winter in Florida.  They lived through WWII and escaped from East Germany in the 60's, what a story they have...   Ziggy and Anita sang a song for us today.  "Til the Storm Passes By"  I heard it song as a child and loved it back then, today it had new meaning....

"In the dark of the midnight have i oft hid my face
While the storms howl above me and there's no hiding place;
'Mid the crash of the thunder precious Lord hear my cry:
Keep me safe till the storm passes by

Til the storm passes over
til the thunder sounds no more
Til the clouds roll forever from the sky
Hold me fast
let me stand in the hollow of thy hand
Keep me safe
till the storm passes by

Many times Satan whispered
 'there is not use to try
for there's no end of sorrow
there no hope by and by
But I know Thou art with me
and tomorrow I'll rise
Where the storms never darken the skies

When the long night has ended
and the storms come no more
Let me stand in Thy presence on that bright peaceful shore
In that land where the tempest never comes
Lord may I dwell with Thee when the storm passes by

Til the storm passes over
til the thunder sounds no more
Til the clouds roll forever from the sky
Hold me fast
let me stand in the hollow of thyy hand
Keep me safe
till the storm passes by"

So although I wept throughout most of the service, there was a comfort in having Selah with us in church.  The thought came to my mind as I sat on the front row, with Selah beside me and Sarah sitting on the ground at my feet, and Steve on the other side and Shad and Sam by him.....ONE day we will all be together in heaven....no matter what this earthly journey holds, there will be a day when all my children will be healed and whole!  There will be a day when we gather together at the throne of God.  All the sadness of this life will be passed away.  While I do not understand all the things that happen in life, on that day I'll either understand it or it just won't matter anymore.... 

What a hope we have in God.  He is not a genie but He keeps His promises.  He never left me from the moment this happened even through this very moment.  He has never been far away from me, even in my most broken moments....  He does hold us in the hollow of  His hand throughtout the storms of life.  I'm still scared about the future, I don't have all the answers, but I know that God is with us. 

So Selah had a big day and her nurse took her outside this aftenoon and has been working with her on all her range of motion.  Let me tell you this little girl is just being loved on by so many folks, giving her their full attention, it's wonderful!  We've been so very happy with all the nurses that are working with us.  It's like we hit the jackpot of great skilled nurses!  Being Home is much easier than I thought it would be!  She is happy, I've yet to see her "upset" face and no crying since she has been home.  I'm so glad she is happy. 

Thanks for all your prayers for Selah and for our whole situation.  Please pray that she will continue to improve and that we start to see her swallow more and hold her head up more.  She has done it some and we want to see that along with her new relaxed prfect tone! 

16 comments:

  1. I am thrilled about Selah's progress and so happy you are ll home and together. God and love are our greatest headers, no? I wonder if the careful and long of the fish oil is contributing o her continued improvement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sent too soon. Anyway, wondering if the fish oil continued to be mishandle in Fla even after your concerns were addressed. Praying for Selah's miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can she or does she smile in her coma state?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new family picture! Everyone looks very happy, Selah looks so relaxed too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful pictures of the whole family together! So happy the nursing situation is working out great and that Selah has made such great progress with just a few days being home. Praying that your dream comes true soon and that your amazing warrior princess will be skipping as she follows you around the house!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing it must have been to be all together as a family again at church! I am so glad that the home nursing is working out better than you had feared. I used to work as a home health nurse and I always felt that it was a reciprocal relationship-- the clients took me into their family and I took them into mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading how wonderful your day was! Will still keep praying.

    janet and gang

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yvonne, I'm so happy Selah...and your family are home now. So happy to to hear of the great nurses, her relaxed arms, legs and the great improvements. I read your posts daily, and pray every single day for you all. I've written to you before. You don't need to post this. I'm not sure if this would pertain to you...or if it might be an option for later if not now. I can't remember exactly what Selah is being fed but my friend posted this on her face book page. She is on caringbridge also. I love caringbridge.org. I thought I would send it to you and if you can use it now or in the future. God Bless each step of this journey. Behind the scenes praying! Corey...girl ~Lindsey Ravina
    https://www.vitamix.com/Customer-Service/Contact-Us

    I am posting this so others may have the opportunity that we have had. Both of my boys are on a feeding tube. One of them requires a blenderized diet. I have found that the Vitamix is rare in that it breaks down the food so well it goes through the feeding tubes easily. I can make a beautiful meal and my son will get what I get, smell what I smell and have good gut stimulation from real food. If you contact the Vitamix corporation They offer FREE or half off of one of their Blenders for those who require a blenderized diet whether by mouth or feeding tube. The process is so easy and I was blessed by the customer service! May you be blessed as well~

    Note: They have had this for years but do not advertise it, not even when they are in "shows". So, please pass this along to everyone you know! Young and Old alike!
    Contact Us - Customer Service | Vitamix
    www.vitamix.com
    We look forward to hearing from you. Call the appropriate sales and support numbers to speak with a service expert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a wonderful thought, isn't it. I have clung to that many times in my darkest hours with my disabled daughter...she'll be perfect in heaven someday...come swiftly Lord!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Happy she seems to know she is back home and its ok to relax. Baby steps. Glad you got to go to church as a family again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful news!! Continuing to pray...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love the new pic! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful, comforting, wonderful thought that someday we will all be in heaven together with our special needs children, and they will be healthy and whole! My children don't have nearly the struggles that Selah does, but they do struggle and it breaks my heart, but because they are learning about Christ and His amazing gift to them, someday they will be healthy and whole in heaven! Makes me cry! Thank you for the reminder.

    I was so happy to read about Selah going to church today -- how truly wonderful and miraculous! Twice saved, once from the orphanage, now from the canal, and then someday from the pain of this life to the freedom and joy of heaven. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No place like home, huh?! Amazing how these little ones know that home is safety and comfort in a way no other place is. See what she learned in those weeks being there - she knew it then and you are seeing it now - that is awesome!! So glad for you all to have found the wonderful nurses, the relief of home and happiness of friends around - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. What a great family! To say your life must be interesting and challenging is an understatement, to be sure. But may the Lord continue to bless you through your love for one another, and your service for Him. Your blog caught my eye this morning because I just posted an article on Mr. Lister's great gospel song. Life has plenty of storms, but one day they'll all "pass by" forever.

    ReplyDelete