Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day 95 Fish Oil Study ~Life is short...eternity is long

Selah continues to be relaxed.  Her nurse got her up today and we gave hr a bath.  Quite a job!  Can't wait till the bath chair that one of my readers is sending gets here!  She was nice and clean and I put her on a new outfit.  She was outside quite awhile then we turned on Sesame Street for her and she seemed contented   A friend of ours had given us her old big screen tv and it is the perfect height for Selah to sit in her wheelchair and watch!  She must feel like she has a front row seat!   She is asleep now and her hands are completely open and relaxed.  I tested her knees when she was falling asleep and the tone was great!  Without trying, I could probably get a 50% range of motion or better.  I really didn't try hard since she was almost asleep and I didn't  want to bother her.  It is just unreal!

Tomorrow Sam, Sarah and Selah will have reevaluations for PT and Speech here at our home.  The agency that was going to start working with them in their office offered to come to our home and do it!  Next week they will all have a reevaluation for OT also and we hope to get started soon!

Selah has an afternoon appointment in Tampa for Gastro and he will reinsert the new feeding tube.  It came in today.  She has done fine with the tubing that was put in at St Joe's but it's best to have th right one in.

Today we got some very sad news.  A friend of ours, Ray Wiley,  passed away unexpectedly last night.   Ray and his wife had filled in for Jon at our church when we went to Ukraine and when we were in NY.  He actually led a prayer service for Selah a few nights after the accident.  He served as the head of the Urban Bible Training Center here in Tampa.  He and his wife, Jo, served for years in Eastern Europe as missionaries.  They had a heart for adoption, for our girls' adoption and for other families also.  He was a faithful servant of God.  We are sadden to hear of this but I have no doubt in my mind where he is tonight.... He spent his life serving God.  After I heard the news, all I could think was "he was a faithful man"  He didn't look for the praises of men, he knew who he lived for.  They have faithfully prayed for us and for Selah.  They have helped us out so much at our church, we had hoped to spend some time with them one day....well now that "one day" may be a little ways in the future but what a blessing to know that we all will meet again....

So reflecting on his death, makes me want to LIVE for God with everything in me.  Ray was a wonderful example of someone who was ready.  He lived his life ready  and he worked for God till the end.  Some would say "well he died young, what kind of God is that to let a good man die in his 50's?"  I don't have all the answers but I bet Ray does now!  I don't mean that flippant either.  I know we all want to hang on to life as much as we can but I think when our time comes, if we are ready to meet God, we will wonder why we were so afraid of death in the first place.  Also I know that even if a person lives to be 100 years old, that is nothing in the light of eternity.  Eternity is forever.

Have you ever, for just a second, grasped the concept of eternity?  I have, for just a split second, and then that understanding is gone.  But that hope of eternity is what keeps me going from day to day.  It's not some silly false hope but it's a real hope that beats in my heart.  Sometimes in the day to day, nitty gritty of life, that peace sweeps over me that this life is just a vapor...soon it will be gone...we will stand before God.

When I told the boys, they were shocked that someone they knew had so suddenly.  I used that time to remind the boys, that no one is promised tomorrow and we need to live with a repentant heart.  And I'm reminding you all of that too.  I believe Ray would want everyone of you to make heaven your final destination   I know I want you all to!  The bible says that if you call upon the name of the Lord, you will be saved.  Just ask Him to forgive your sins, and then keep in relationship with Him by praying daily and reading the Bible.  So I just want to encourage you to do that if you have not already done so.

Please keep his wife and family in your prayers....thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your friends passing. He sounds like a wonderful godly man. Lifting his family up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for Ray's family, in addition to my usual prayers for Selah and all of you. Sending lots of love from NJ. We are supposed to be slammed by a blizzard tomorrow, so if you don't hear from me, it will only mean that the power is out, NOT that I am praying any less!

    ReplyDelete