Saturday, March 30, 2013

Leaving on a Jet plane....

One year ago today we left for Ukraine......we had many concerns about the travel itself, the accommodations, taking the kids with us, how the girls would react, how we'd handle being at a MENTAL INSTITUTION  daily for weeks,  we left having NO idea when we'd return home,  we left Shad with a close friend, as he had a scholarship for the private Christian school that only allowed him to miss a total of 18 days of school and we knew he'd miss more than that.  We also thought it might be too hard on Steve to watch both boys as we'd be gone for a few hours a day to the orphanage or at court.   We had some real fears of the unknown. 

Dropping off Shad really upset me, then I had to drive to the airport.  I usually HATE to drive into the airport but I felt like my whole life was going to be totally out of my control for the next months or so so I wanted to be the one in control of the car.  It's so out of my character to want to drive through traffic, we just laugh about it now.  We flew out of Tampa to Charlotte NC and from there straight to Munich Germany.  We were  so packed.  Our facilitator (who became a great friend) suggested some gifts for the director of the institution.  He thought he'd like a Map of the US.  So I carried a big map through three airports and two train stations LOL   We also took suitcases of clothes and other things to leave for the institution and a wheelchair.  Coming home was easier :)

 
In Tampa, notice Sam would NOT wear shoes back then!  Somehow he FINALLY started wearing them in Ukraine and has ever since


TIA
 
 
See the map? 

 


I HATE to fly, but once I'm on the plane, I'm fine.  We had a smooth trip until we were over Ireland and those little elves shook up the plane.  The food was AWFUL- we flew on the German airline and they served German food...'Nuff said'....  We had a few hours layover in Munich and the guys were wanting to sleep...  My mantra was "STAY AWAKE or you will have jet lag"!  We also experienced the economy of Germany...$16 for a small bowl of awful soup! 


 
Munich Germany


 
STAY AWAKE!!

Jon was o tired, I told him to keep walking Sam to stay awake, he was not thrilled. 



Then we flew to Kiev, Oh happy day!  One thing I loved on the flight to Kiev, as soon as we taxied off, EVERYONE in the plane did the sign of the cross.  Steve and I looked at each other and did the same!  We thought they might know something we didn't know LOL 

We got to the airport around 4pm on Saturday  and met up with a few other families.  We waited for our drivers to take us to our various apartments.  In Ukraine no one I knew stayed in hotels, they stayed in apartments.  We were lucky and stayed in a ministry's apartment (supported CBN) for the first few days.  It was in the OLD section of town and OLD really means OLD in Ukraine, the buildings there were hundreds of years old and some of the streets were 1,000 years old. 

 
from our balcony the first night and yes that is a little snow

 
Across the street from us

 
 

Steve and Sam on their sofa bed
 
 
 
Today we worked at the church and boy do we have a surprise for Grace Church tomorrow:)  We also ran and got all the things for the egg hunt after service.  While we were in Walmart, we saw some friends:)
 
 
 

 
 

 
We love Duck Dynasty:)
 
 
Selah had a good day today but last night was rough.  She had to be suctioned or changed about every hour.  Jon and I were exhausted this morning.  She is not sick, she seems to be able to make herself sound like she needs to be suctioned at times.  It is odd but in a way we are glad because she makes the gurgle noise and yet her oxygen rate is normal.  Usually when she does it she wants to be changed.  Almost without fail!  So in a way she does communicate with us. 
 
she looked so cute today.  She has on a skort, one of my favorite things to wear:) 

 
And here is our other princess...Sarah STANDING!
 
 
 
Love the dress, found it at a Salvation Army store on Half price day for .99 cents

 
Sarah clapping

 
She pushed away from the wall a little bit and scared me.  She can stand up by herself as long as she has something to hold onto or to lean against. 
 
Please say a prayer for Selah tomorrow, I can't help but pray that God will give new life to our little girl on Easter Sunday....
 
So tonight is bittersweet when I think back to where we were last year (over the Atlantic Ocean)  on our way to get our girls.  Who would have ever dreamed all that laid before us?  But the God who sustained us throughout that trip has sustained us throughout this whole year!  I'll be writing daily about our trip from this point forward with lots of pictures that I couldn't put on my blog last year.  I had issues loading and I was afraid of something going wrong in court if I did anything wrong or said a word wrong on my blog.  I wasn't sure of the privacy laws, everyone told us different things but now I can tell the stories and share the pictures.  I hope you will enjoy it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment