Thursday, March 14, 2013

Surgery tomorrow! Thoughts on the new Pope

Selah had a better day today.  I set my clock and got up and keep the pain meds going even when she was pain free to stay on top of the pain/discomfort.  I am tired but she did much better today.  She sat up for about 4 hours and that was good for her:)   We kept the meds going every four hours and she never got uncomfortable. 

We are going to have a short night between the meds and getting to St Joe's early in the morning!  She will have her casts removed and replaced.  She had bleeding in one foot so that one needs to be changed out and this way they can eyeball her leg/feet and make sure everything is ok.  She seems to have a lot of discomfort.

We finished up the garden today ....just in time for FROST in the morning!  In Florida?  In March?  Geez!  I had to cover all the plants up, not too worried about the seeds, they will stay warm in the raised beds but some of the plants can't handle cold too well. 

I cooked a pot roast in the crock pot today and made biscuits from Red Lobster:)  A friend had gotten me a box from Sam's Club to make and they were good.  I got the little ones their baths, and everyone is in a food induced coma so we're all going to bed early tonight!  Ok that concludes my day.....

So a quick thought on the new Pope...maybe I've become more  ecumenical  over the years but I am very excited about this new Pope.  A man who lives a humble life...reaches out to the poor and needy....  and I see my excitement echoed by so many, Catholic or not.  Why?  I believe it is because the world is yearning for REAL people, people who are authentic and really live the life they talk about.   We are tired of hearing about the gold toilets and the private jets of many of the world religious leaders.  We are looking for someone who is down to earth.   This man brings that hope that there are still good people in the world today who want to SERVE and not be served.....  I hear stories of missionaries who have their own maids....it's laughable....I LOVe hearing about a man who takes a bus to work....  He was the one of the  leaders of the Catholic Church for Latin America yet he didn't need an entourage....  I've met pastors of relatively small churches , just a few hundred people who had to have "armor bearers" to help them out LOLOL  If you've read my blog very long at all you know stuff like that makes me SICK!   He has shown a good example for ministers of every denomination to follow....Live simply, focus on the needs of others.....    Why do we, as ministers, feel we have to look successful?  I know ministers who get into debt buying a certain type of car so they "won't bring reproach on the name of Jesus"  Ummmm REALLY??????   It is laughable IF it weren't so sad and sick.....  Things like that don't matter in the least bit to me.  As long as a car has A/C I'm good:)  (well I do live in Florida)  Someone gave us a brand new van last year and don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the heck out of it....BUT that was not something we were even thinking about, much less praying about....it just happened and we were blessed but we weren't striving for that and were perfectly content with our 2000 Dodge Caravan....  When you think about how short this life is, and what really matters, then all that other stuff should just fall by the wayside as we serve God by serving others. 

I read a cute joke about a rich man who begged God that when he died he wanted to take some of his wealth with him.  So he died and God let him take a suitcase full of wealth with him.  When he got to the Pearly Gates, St Peter had him open it.  St Peter was so confused and asked the man WHY he had brought part of the street with him....  (he brought a suitcase full of gold...but in heaven the streets are gold so it would be like me taking some asphalt along with me and thinking it was just wonderful.  )  Gold is nothing in heaven, we'll walk on it, that's how "rare" God sees it.....not rare at all. 

We should remind ourselves not to think too highly of ourselves and even more so if we are ministry!

Ok that is my thought for tonight.....

Please keep praying for Selah, especially tomorrow morning.  She will have to go under anesthesia for the casts to be redone but it will be quick.  Thanks for your prayers.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that it's nice that there is a humble spiritual leader and he believes in sanctity of marriage and life.
    I will pray for Selah. My daughter had to have anesthesia to have her casts removed, too, but they used a twilight sedation. And it was very quick. Jackie was drowsy for just a short time and I don't remember her vomiting, unlike when she had the actual surgeries. I'll be looking forward to an update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also glad there is a pope that is humble. I hope he stays that way and never lets it get to his head.
    I am glad Selah is doing much better. I hope she'll keep on improving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm completely with you in being excited about this new pope--although I happened to see a liberal newspaper the other day already trying to link him to a terrible human rights scandal. Sigh.

    But I just wanted to tell you that you should reconsider judging missionaries having maids. My sister-in-law was with the peace corps in Morocco, which is a Muslim country. It is not as closed or dangerous as many other Middle Eastern countries, but it is still not exactly safe to be professing Christ. Well, my SIL lived with some retired missionaries and they had a maid. I too thought it was strange--esp. because SIL would actually leave dirty dishes sitting out because they needed something for the maid to do! So I asked her about it, and her answers really made sense:

    --In some cultures almost EVERYBODY, even poor people, have someone come in and help clean their house. It is just part of the culture. So if missionaries want to be embracing the life of the people they are wanting to serve, so they can live life with them, such things just become something you do as a bridge between cultures.

    --In closed countries--places where it would be dangerous to talk openly about Jesus with Muslims--having maids and other household help creates unique opportunity to witness in a safe way.

    --When you employ people you are actually helping someone, or some family, live. When my SIL left Morocco, she had some shoes worn out that were not worth the luggage space on the way home. She did not throw them away, but instead gave them to their maid, who was thrilled. This woman was not destitute, but in that culture they just don't have as much as we do, and so anything the missionaries did not need was a blessing to others.

    --Because of the currency exchanges, it cost pennies a day for them to pay their maid a good wage in that culture. Pennies. So what might look like indulgence or not a good use of missionary funds might actually be a whole lot of blessing for the buck--but not for the missionary, as you might imagine, but for the people working for them.

    I just thought you might like to hear this other side, so that maybe you won't be bothered when you hear of missionaries having servants. : ) It may look backwards, but it might very well be one way THEY are serving, not being served.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point! Nothing like somone being in your home for you to befriend and share with expicially in some countries. I guess when I was writing bout that, I thought of some other excesses I know of that went along with having servents..

      Delete
    2. Wow, thanks for sharing that insight! I certainly would not have thought of it like that.

      Delete