My friend wrote this out for me to share with you all
Born Thursday, Dec. 12 @ 9:12pm
Labor was induced at 7:30am; water was broken. There was a large amount of Meconium present in the fluid.
At 6:30pm dilation was 10 cm & the pushing began.
At birth, Sabrina was blue; not breathing. They worked on her quickly & got her breathing & "pinking up." Her APGAR score was only a 2 at the one minute mark. However, at the five minute mark, Sabrina's score was 9! We were told she was fine & just needed to cry more to finish clearing her lungs.
Sabrina was allowed to have "skin to skin" with Mom & was held by Dad & MawMaw. I noticed Sabrina making bubbles & having labored breathing. I told nurse Sabrina sounded like she was wheezing & was listless. The nurse just told us to pat her back & make her cry to continue to clear the lungs.
Finally, about 45 minutes after birth, a nurse from the nursery came to check Sabrina's vitals. She asked to take the baby to the nursery to do the tests, as we were moving to a regular room & Sabrina's blood sugar could be low, due to the labored breathing.
Later, we were told Sabrina was being transferred to the NICU, so they could start an IV to raise her blood sugar.
Laura & Matt visited Sabrina in the NICU overnight & were not told of any problems. However, the next morning they were able to meet with the doctor & he advised that Sabrina was having Apnea & Seizures. We were shocked! We had no answers as to why this was going on!
Later, Sabrina was placed on a ventilator to help with breathing. She also began Phenobarbital to help control seizures. They had no idea why she was having these issues & began testing for everything! They did a spinal tap & drew lots of blood to check for infections, viruses, & metabolic issues. An EEG was done while I was there. I witnessed some of the seizure like activity (rapid eye movement & shaking hand). After the EEG was completed, the nurse (Tammy) showed Laura & I a large red swollen area along the right side/back area of Sabrina's head. Tammy asked if a vacuum or forceps were used in delivery; Laura advised they were not used. I asked about getting a CT Scan & MRI of the brain ASAP! They advised that she would have the CT scan later, but since she was on a ventilator, they would have to wait to do a MRI.
No additional testing was done Friday. Later, Sabrina was removed from the ventilator. Laura was told that Sabrina would have an ultrasound of the head first thing Saturday morning & a CT scan in the afternoon. She was also told that an MRI would have to wait until Monday, as the staff wouldn't be available until then.
Later Saturday morning, the Pediatric neurologist met with the family. He witnessed the seizure like activity, Laura showed him the large bruise on Sabrina's head, & immediately stated he wanted an MRI right away.
Saturday afternoon we received the MRI results from the Neonatologist. He advised that Sabrina either had a stroke or a hemorrhage, as they see evidence of brain damage on the MRI.
Around 6pm, Laura was discharged from the hospital.
Sabrina's seizures were under control & she rested well all day Sunday. No additional testing was done.
By Monday morning, Sabrina had been seizure free for over 24 hrs! Laura got to feed her for the first time. Sabrina was able to drink 4 ml from a bottle. She must be able to take a full bottle for all feedings over 24 hrs, before they can remove the feeding tube. We are hopeful that will improve quickly! Her kidneys are improving daily; almost functioning normally. The Pediatric neurologist has still not returned to discuss the official diagnoses!
Monday afternoon (4pm) we all met with the Neonatologist. He advised of specific areas of the brain effected: front of brain has evidence of an old bleed & a new bleed; lateral sides show areas of Asphyxia. He stated that the focus now is to get Sabrina's gag & sucking reflexes to improve, so she can eat orally & have feeding tube removed. I advised doctor of family history of Protein C and protein S deficiency (clotting problems).
Tuesday morning, the Pediatric neurologist & Neonatologist meet with the family. They agreed to call in a Hematologist to address a possible blood clotting issue. Although they feel Sabrina's damage is most likely a result of Trauma (labor/delivery), they need to rule out a clotting issue, as the damage could continue if due to clotting problem.
Thank you so much for prayers for this dear family....