Sunday, January 12, 2014

CHURCH

My Father's way may twist and turn,
My heart may throb and ache,
But in my soul I'm glad I know,
He maketh no mistake.

My cherished plans may go astray,
My hopes may fade away,
But still I'll trust my Lord to lead
For He doth know the way.


Though night be dark and it may seem
That day will never break;
I'll pin my faith, my all in Him,
He maketh no mistake.

There is so much now I cannot see
My eyesight is far too dim;
But come what may, I'll simply trust
And leave it all to Him.

For by and by the mist will lift
and plain it all He'll make
Through all the way, though dark to me,
He made not one mistake.


http://3littlecowboys.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2014-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&updated-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=2&m=0


What a beautiful poem.  I don't know the author but I remember reciting it when I was young.  The blog writer above used it in one of her blogs.  I've been reading this blog today and my heart is just torn for this young woman who has fought cancer for many years.  She is a friend of one of Jon's cousins.....  She has an amazing outlook on life and my prayers are with her. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Today is Sunday which is a busy day for us, even busier than usual since my husband didn't wake me up when he left for the prison......  so I woke at 9:40.....By the way Sunday School starts at 9:45......LOL  AND I had to mop the laundry room.  WHY?   Because our dearly loved old dog spent the night in there and she has an incontinence problem along with the fact she has bit her tail so bloody looking pee....Nice way to start a Sunday morning!   (she got a bath today)   Somehow we all got ready and made it to church in time for me to type a few songs and find out I was singing  (and my son complimented me for once!  Usually he keeps my mike down low.....really low!) Oh and in my husband's sermon, he just somehow HAD to tell the congregation that my C-section scar was bothering me.....Really????   HOW the HECK did THAT come up???  (well it came up when he was preaching about the coming of the Lord and how the earth has labor pains.....it just went from there- it won't happen again tho!) 

Our church was close to full.  It's just amazing to see what God has done here.  We had 6 people join the church today and that encouraged another family to ask to join next week! 

Many people don't want to join churches anymore....many say they don't need to go to church to be a Christian.  I agree, you can be a Christian without joining or even going to church.  BUT there is just something about becoming part of a fellowship.  The Bible tells us in Hebrews 10 24-25  "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

I know some folks will say they can meet together for lunch and that is all they need to do BUT Paul was writing to Christians who had continued in the Jewish tradition of meeting weekly in a formal setting.  Formal in the sense of the same type of setting. 

I've always believed in the importance of church attendance.  Sure there are hypercritics in church, they are hypocrites at your job, at the local bar, where ever you go, there will be people will issues.  But there will be good folks there too!   As a pastor's wife I REALLY don't focus on the negative people.  Thankfully we don't have any negative people in our church, now.  I'm not saying that people are faking positive in some weird way, just that folks love God and want to get closer to Him & each other.   It is so good to be in a healthy growing church.  It took awhile....for this church to be healthy OR growing!  But it is now and we are so grateful that God helped us to preserve through some tough times. 

We had SIX people join our church today
 
 
Jon preached on 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
 

13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

What an encouragement....the King James Version says to comfort one another....what a comfort....what a hope!

There are days I lose sight of that Hope....days when the future looks uncertain and quite scary!  It encouraged my heart to hear these familiar scripture read again. 

I'm looking forward to THAT day whether I am dead or whether I am still alive....Jesus is coming back again

If that thought scares you (and there have been plenty of times in my life it terrified me, you have NO idea how good some "old timey preachers" were at making that verse NOT a comforting verse!)  turn to Jesus.

Ask Him to forgive you of your sins and then walk with Him.  I'm not one to believe in a "sinner's prayer"  I think God would much rather hear what you have to say from your heart than by repeating lines after some preacher.....(ok my husband still uses the "sinner's prayer" and it annoys me to death!)  But God wants to hear from you, ask Him to forgive your sin and to walk with you.  You won't regret that decision in this life OR in the life to come. 





No comments:

Post a Comment