Friday, May 30, 2014

Getting Ready for Graduation!

This has been a very busy week for me!

A Graduation ceremony and party is time consuming!  The last couple of days, I've spent most of the time focused in someway or another on it or on Steve...  Today I've been running since this morning, and   I tracked down a tassel for his cap!  YEAH!  Finally printed out all our beautiful pictures that my friend took and I put some pictures on canvas for Steve, that took hours.  Then he helped me clean our whole house, and do a bunch of things today. 

Can't help but think of my high school graduation.  No one attended it just to come for me.  I had no family that attended, my great aunt didn't really leave the house at that point and no one else cared enough.  Of course I had friends who were graduating  and some of their families who loved on me but it's unreal to think I graduated with no one there for me.  Back then I took it in stride, I felt like I was an adult and didn't need anyone anyhow.  Looking back, I was so young, just 17 years old and really for the most part alone in the world.  It's very sad to me to think about all of that. 

My college graduation was also very odd.  My "birth mother" who I'd only seen a few times in my life came to it.  At that time I was dating a guy who was a youth pastor and several people came from the church for both of us.  (In fact the SAME church that we now pastor....."it's a small world")    But we just went out to McDonald's afterwards and then my mother took me and my boyfriend out to eat....it's was a bit surreal to me.  I didn't want her there but he had invited her.  Back then, I was a bit  nicer so I didn't say what I thought like I do now.   Any ceremony or big occasion is stressful, even if it is a good thing so to add the stress of having her there, really bothered me on top of the stress of the graduation.  Can we say awkward????

What a difference for Steve, surrounded by his family and friends.....

Thank God that He is a restorer.....

I determined that I was going to walk in God's ways, and be faithful to raising my family in God's truths.  In my heart, I was determined not to see my children toss around like I was.  Living for God not only affects YOUR life, but it affects your children too. 

In my growing up, I reaped the harvest of bad decisions my mother and father made.   They sowed to the wind...and I reaped their whirlwind.  But even in all of the pain, God showed me that things didn't have to stay the way they were.  I'm not sure I had a clear picture of just how I wanted my life to be but I knew I was going to make decisions to follow after Gods ways.  And God was faithful to give me a husband who knew what a "normal" family was like, he'd had good examples in his parents. 

After a pretty disastrous relationship with a guy who had a MESSED UP family, I KNEW I'd never ever get serious with anyone who was in the "same boat as me".   So when I met Jon, I wanted to meet his folks right away.  I met them the week after Jon & I met!  As soon as I met them, I breathed a sigh of relief!  I could tell there was no "funniness" about them....just good southern folks who'd worked hard and raised their boys.  No secrets in their closets, no problems hidden, just nice normal people.  Then I was ready to get serious with Jon, I'm not kidding, that was the most important thing to me. 

So I think of the contrasts, and the blessing that our children have because of the decisions we've made to live for God.  Every action has a reaction.....whether Good or Bad. 

So tomorrow is the BIG day and I'm already tired:)  It's going to be great and I'll be posting the video my friend made for Steve.  It has pictures on it set to music that really show Steve's heart.




Shad had his field trip today to Disney Quest.  He had a blast!  Disney Quest is a game room.  I've never been to it but the boys have and love it.   The good thing about living in Florida is many field trips involve Disney....and I don't' have to go LOL  One of my close friends rode the school bus with the kids, she works for the school.  She had a good time, I'd have probably jumped out a window LOL!  Me, kids and unair-conditioned school buses do NOT mix! 

 
 
 

 
I told him I had to take a picture for his fan club:)
 
 
Well I'm guessing we did not win the handicapped accessible van.  We didn't' get a call or email and today was to be the day.  Oh well, I still appreciate ALL the effort you all put into voting for us!  It meant a lot to me, that folks would take the time to vote!


Well just wanted to jump on here and say HI and let you know all was well with the Clanton family, just a very busy time! 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Steve on his graduation!! I know you are so very happy to call him your son! Prayers for a wonderful, fun filled, and blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne, I read your blog nearly every day. I don't think you and I have a lot in common, yet I feel we would get along. I love how you tell it like it is. I have polar opposite politics from you, I am more an unbeliever than a non-believer, my unmarried partner and I have been together 35 years and I live in the northern US. BUT I am Mommy to two profoundly disabled daughters, I know their lives matter deeply, I value family above all else, I believe there is right and wrong and it is not hard to discern that, I respect you for your unvarnished honesty and willingness to be vulnerable. Anyway, thanks for your voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! Thank you :) Actually I have all kinds of friends who I love even the ones who are polar opposites, sometimes they are the most fun cause I can have a good discussion with them without us getting angry at each other. Thanks for your kinds words!

      Delete
  3. Yvonne, I read your blog nearly every day. I don't think you and I have a lot in common, yet I feel we would get along. I love how you tell it like it is. I have polar opposite politics from you, I am more an unbeliever than a non-believer, my unmarried partner and I have been together 35 years and I live in the northern US. BUT I am Mommy to two profoundly disabled daughters, I know their lives matter deeply, I value family above all else, I believe there is right and wrong and it is not hard to discern that, I respect you for your unvarnished honesty and willingness to be vulnerable. Anyway, thanks for your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful for you, Yvonne, and your 'real-ness' in living life. It is an encouragement to me, esp. during this new season of life we are in now--hubby just got laid off this week. Not the end of the world, but God has been faithful in simply reminding me that in all times and in all things, He is still the great I am!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. praying for you guys my friend!!!!!

      Delete