Thursday, August 21, 2014

College Grant

Today we found out that Steve has gotten a full grant to go to college and his first term is completely paid for:)  Yeah!  What a relief.  Now I'm still working on Shad's Step Up For Student grant and hoping that he will get it for this year.  He has had it since kindergarten (it's a grant that enables him to go to a private school for free)  This year I have submitted things over & over again and gotten no where.  I thought it was all in but checked back on their website and they are again asking for something.  How annoying.  We've done this for 5 years, submitted the same paperwork year after year and this year has had so many problems!

Selah stood in her stander today for the first time since the surgery.  She did great, seemed to be comfortable.  Her left leg is noticeably shorter now since the surgery but we can put a block under it and she is fine.  Her therapist is ordering a specific one for her.


Steve is working at Habitat today and I'm here with the little ones.  Since it was Selah's day for a bath, I thought it would be a good idea to give the little ones an early bath too.  It was a good idea, I have two sleeping babies!!!!!  Woohoo!  Of course I may regret this about 10 pm tonight!


I'm reading the remarks that Richard Dawkins made when asked about aborting a child with Down Syndrome.  He said "Abort it and try again, it would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have a choice"   RD is an atheist who wrote the book "the God delusion"   It is so easy to say look at him & his remarks and you can see what the lack of God in someone's life will do to them.   There is so much I could say but to sum it up (and keep me from getting in trouble) the guy is a total immoral jerk.....  It's hard not to hate someone who says something like that but his words come from a dark deep spot in him.  He needs God in his life......



1 comment:

  1. I'm an atheist who has worked with kids who have special needs. I would love to adopt a baby with Down syndrome or another intellectual disability someday. My secular humanism is the foundation of my advocacy for people with physical and cognitive differences: because I do not believe in a god or gods, I believe that people have a profound obligation to one another. To rely on others and to be relied on in turn is one of the best parts of being human. Just because I don't believe that compassion is a divine mandate, doesn't mean I'm any less compassionate. Indeed, I think I'm MORE compassionate for that very reason.

    It's also worth noting that Dawkins is a VERY divisive figure within the atheist community. Personally, I dislike him intensely and disagree with him on just about every issue except the nonexistence of god. I can point to many religious leaders who have said terrible things as well. Being an ignorant jerk isn't unique to any particular belief system (or lack thereof). :)

    ReplyDelete