Wednesday, August 20, 2014

No Ice Bucket Challenge for me



Y'all know I'm all about raising money for good causes.  For some reason I never felt "good" about the ice bucket challenge.  I know two friends who lost their fathers to ALS and a pastor's wife in our area who is battling it right now.    One of our nurses specialized in ALS patients for several decades and has told me stories of their lives.  It is a horrible disease!  I've now read the Catholic church is discouraging participation in this fund raising because the ALS Association gives money to embryonic stem cells research.  That is cells that come from aborted babies.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2014/08/20/ice-bucket-challenge-cincinnati-archdiocese/14342977/

Before you think I'm some cruel inhumane person, please know we have had to make some decisions about trying stem cell therapy for Selah.  We KNOW the feeling of desperation and of wanting your loved one to be well.  I've researched and looked into it, talked to a few doctors and we just could not go any further with things.   We hope in the future there will be trials that could use her own stem cells but right now there is nothing we can find. 

I believe as a Christian, all our decisions whether it is where we give or what kind of medical treatments we seek out should be thought out thoroughly.   In the article there is an alternative given " The Archdiocese asks that any money raised is sent instead to the John Paul II Medical Research Institute in Iowa City, Iowa, where the research is only conducted using adult stem cells."

In this high tech medical world, we need to carefully look at what we chose to do and support.  We are cognitive of this as we have had many medical decisions to make about our children.   It is hard to deal with  and it is easy to become desperate.  I know many will disagree with me over this matter and tell me that we can't control everything we give to nor can we know exactly where the money might go.....  and that is very true.  However if I know for sure that an organization is involved in some type of research that I'm uncomfortable with, I feel an obligation to not participate. 

My heart goes out to anyone affected by this disease and certainly this has raised awareness of the disease and interest.  I'm sure good will come out of it.  But we can never let "the end justify the means"! 

========================================================================

Well I'm off the wagon for the week....I've been skipping walking to eat breakfast with one of my besties who will work as a full time teacher this coming school year.  This week has been the "getting the classroom ready week" so we've managed breakfast for the whole week so far LOL!    I'm going to be so sad when she goes to work full time.  This feels like our last hurrah!   But we've had such a good time eating together every morning & catching up on life!

Heard some awful news today.  One of my little ones' therapists had her home burn down last night!!!
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/26324964/firefighter-injured-in-dade-city-fire
There is a link where you can give to them at
http://www.gofundme.com/d9qxso  I'm hoping our church can do something for them also!!!

Selah had her 6 week post op doctor appointment and things look good.  She is free to be back on her stander and back to much more vigorous therapy.  She is showing a slight curvature of her back that we will look at again in a few months.  The doctor is not worried but we want to absolutely make sure that she has no issues with that!  He almost thinks it is from how she was positioned on the xray table but didn't want to do another xray today as they had to do it twice today as it was.  We will certainly keep our eye on this!

Hope you all are having a great week! 













 

5 comments:

  1. There is a huge disconnect between your sudden holier-than-thou attitude about embryonic stem cell research and a recent "Bomb them to Hell" column you wrote.
    What are you thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let me explain.....
      The US is in a war with terrorists who want to kill us and everyone who does not believe just like us. We must fight to have peace. We are fighting to protect others.
      Using embryonic stem cells from an innocent aborted child is unethical.
      Two so totally different things.....

      Delete
  2. In the article you linked to the Catholic church didn't say don't donate, they encouraged people to donate to a different ALS organization. Also, stem cells can come from more than just embryos (they are not from aborted fetus.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please note I wrote above...." I've now read the Catholic church is discouraging participation in this fund raising because the ALS Association gives money to embryonic stem cells research." They are discouraging people from giving to ALS but they encourage people giving to another organization. Here is what I wrote about that that you missed read "In the article there is an alternative given " The Archdiocese asks that any money raised is sent instead to the John Paul II Medical Research Institute in Iowa City, Iowa, where the research is only conducted using adult stem cells."

    Stem cells can come from sources other than aborted fetuses as I also stated above in my blog. We have looked into some studies for Selah with adult or her own stem cells.

    However ALS DOES use aborted embryonic stem cells per the research I saw from the Catholic Church. That is why I would not participate in giving to ALS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'd like to read this http://www.worldmag.com/2014/08/lessons_learned_from_the_ice_bucket_challenge
      ALS openly states they use embryonic stem cells

      Delete