Saturday, August 23, 2014

Snakes in the toliet......and other fears I have known...

FEAR....  that just looks like a scary word.

What is your secret fear?  Well I have several that I'm willing to share.  Number 1 on the list is sitting down on the toilet only to find a snake in it!  I've read too many stories like this one
http://www.wkrn.com/story/25964164/alabama-construction-workers-find-venomous-snake-in-toilet
or read this one
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/07/16/snake_bites_man_s_penis_from_toilet_bowl_a_brief_history_of_when_rats_snakes.html
If I get up in the night to go to the bathroom I HATE turning on a light since that makes me wake up so I go to the bathroom and worry about sitting on a snake.  I don't even like to open my eyes when I get up.  I can walk through my house with my eyes closed.  I've tried to change diapers with my eyes closed before LOL  It's weird I know.....  We live in the country with a well and septic tank....all ways that a snake could get in.  BTW, this is NOT an unreasonable fear as I have found one rattle snake in our fellowship hall, one moccasin in our church and just last week a black snake was found in the church foyer.   Steve has had a snake fall on him from a tree and we had a rattler by our front door....the list goes on.  But yet I hate for a light to come on at night.  My husband calls me Dracula. 

Second fear IF I can not reach my son or husband on the phone, I am absolutely positively sure they are dead or dying.  Once right after Steve started driving by himself, he took Shad to the movies.  They had not been gone 5 minutes till we hear all kinds of sirens, I call his cell and he does not answer.....I get in the car and go into town praying I don't come up on a wreak.   They were fine, never found where all the sirens went to, and didn't tell them I did that for a few weeks!

Third fear SINKHOLES.  When I was a kid, I was told of a man riding a horse and how they both got swallowed up by a sinkhole somewhere near Gainesville Florida.  That mind picture has never left me.  Then about a year ago only about 20 miles from our house a man was sleeping and part of his house including the part he was in, was swallowed by a sinkhole!  He was never seen again....  At first I thought we were safe since we live in an area that has lots of water underground ( some theories are that the farmers pump too much water out of some areas and that causes the sinkholes)  But then I found that we are not immuned from sinkholes just because we live in an area that is not pumped out.   We have a crack on a wall that has been there for awhile and recently our bedroom door was not shutting properly, one of the things to look for according to the news.  Thankfully Steve noticed the door was falling off the hinge, non related to any structure change LOL!



There are many fears that vie for fourth place....too many to list.  If people knew all the places my mind goes I'd probably be locked up by now!  Most of my fears involve things happening to my husband or kids.  I've cried over the thought of every one of their funerals at some point in my life. 
I fear getting sick or having a medical issue and not being able to care for the kids. 

Life is fearful, no doubt...but I'm so glad God tells us to "fear NOT".   He knows we are just mortals, subjected to the laws of nature. living in a world of death and decay.  Yet He tells us to fear not......

If you remember a few months before the accident a lady came up to me in a mall and told me she had a word from God and it was FEAR NOT.  I've clung to that many times.

When I'm looking towards God and putting things in His hands, usually my fears are stilled.  It's when I'm holding on to things, trying to work things out in my own mind that I begin to worry and have fears.  So I encourage you to give your fears to God and focus on eternity.  Knowing that one day everything will be made new, all the wrongs will be righted....that gives me the courage to press on in an uncertain world. 

Of course the snake in the toilet fear is just something I'm going to have to learn to deal with, maybe I should try a small flashlight....

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I had not ever thought of the snakes or sink holes...I do panic when my loved ones don't answer the phone when I think they should.
    When I am afraid, I like the verse of Psalm 34:7 "The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear HIM and delivers them." Somehow that is a visual I can feel safe in. Reminds me of the armies sent to protect the prophet Elisha in 2 Kings 6:17.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered putting a nightlight in the bathroom? It won't be so bright as to hurt your dark-adapted eyes, but it'll give you light to navigate by. You can get energy-efficient LED nightlights pretty cheaply.

    ReplyDelete