Tuesday, June 9, 2015

FB Rant

You either love or hate FaceBook.  I love it for the most part because it makes me feel close to far away friends on a daily basis.  I love seeing pictures from one of my best friends who lives in Idaho and being able to "talk" to her instantly.  I love hearing stories from friends living overseas.   I love keeping up to date with many friends who live all over the US, friends I went to high school, college, worked in ministry with, or just knew from different points in my life. 

I even love the debates.  I have an interesting atheist friend.  He keeps me on my toes.  I have Christian friends who are really deep that inspire me.  I LOVE to hear the adoption stories...


BUT I HATE HATE HATE the silly Christian sayings that are forever all over FB.  "God's got that"  "Go Jesus"  "Praise God I got a parking space"   They really make me cringe inside.  And don't even get me started on the pictures that say "share if you love Jesus". 

Oh no I'm going to get hated on....but it's true, I find myself cringing and rolling my eyes. 

WHY?

Because it lowers who God is.  It makes God just the "man upstairs", your "good buddy"

Yes God is our friend.

But He is also the  God of the Universe not just your bud.

And for someone who may be going through a dark valley, asking for and needing a miracle, your cute little silly" thank you Jesus for a parking space" can grate on someone's nerves! 

Do I think God could orchestra a free parking space for someone who needed it?  Yes I do BUT do I think He is going to do that just because you did not want to walk a few steps...No I don't! 

If I were not a believer, every single day on FB I would be so turned off by silly stupid remarks people say and "miracles" they attribute to Jesus that I'd run the other way as fast as I could. 

Think about things, give God glory- but do it respectfully.  Remember every instance in the Bible that a man saw God the man would fall down.  That is the kind of awesome God we serve, One who is all powerful.  He parted the Red Sea not the Walmart parking lot! 



4 comments:

  1. LOL! This is one of the reasons I like to read your blog. You tell it like you see it. I respect that, even if I don't always agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and church signs!! It reminds me of this verse: 17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.

    We should not rely on our own cleverness, but on the word of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not on FB, but I totally agree! This casual attitude is absolutely not respectful. Our minister said in a sermon one time, "God's tolerance for sin is less than you think." THAT'S what people need to focus on. God loves us - AND expects much from us. It's not a one way street.

    ReplyDelete