Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Happy 4th of July pictures!

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend!  Here's some pictures of our day.  We stayed home and just chilled out.  Steve had some friends who stayed over Friday night and Saturday morning I used a whole box of waffle mix to feed everyone.  That was the start of our day.

 Then after those guys went home we just relaxed and enjoyed a thunderstorm on our porch.  We all love storms, probably me most of all. 

It's funny when I was a kid, I'd almost get sick on my stomach when a bad thunderstorm happened.  But not anymore.  I love to watch and listen to a storm.  This time a year, we get about one a day.  July 4th's was a big one...but as you can see we got a rainbow afterwards.....right in our yard!

In 2004 when we had all the hurricanes, the first one was "kind" to us.  We were staying at my brother in laws as we were in the middle of moving.  The storm was amazing.  No thunder or lightening just crazy rain, so we decided to play in the rain...yep...it was like being in a warm shower.  I can't believe we did that but we ran up and down the street.  Steve and his cousins had a blast.  We probably would not do that again but at the time it was a lot of fun.  It was a memory for us.  Of course now I'm a much more "afraid of something happening to my kids mom" than I was back then.  I have a whole blog in my mind about that subject if I can ever sit down and put my thoughts in writing.  LOL  Anyhow here are some pictures! 



 RAINBOW'S END! 



 
 
Sarah is quite the rocker in her little rocking chair.  She is very intent on what she is doing.
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 

 
We've been babysitting Snickers our friends' dog.  She stays right with me....all the time....every step I take....every move I make....

 
 
 
Selah got her Hoyer lift.  We'd hoped to get one that attached to the ceiling but our insurances would not pay for it.  I was afraid this equipment would be too large but it's not really.  It's smaller than her stander.  She actually seemed to enjoy it, it is almost like a baby swing.  It is used to move a person from one position to another without the caregiver having to pick the person up.  I think it will be used a lot as she gets older.  Our nurses are all trained on it and know the advantage for them and for the patient.  It prevents falls and broken bones. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Today I ran into a Dollar General to pick up some snacks and they had a baby pool for $4.  I bought it for the kids, but it looks like the kittens have taken it over! 


 
 
The kittens are scheduled to get spayed Thursday.  Poor babies but we don't want anymore cats!  Gladys aka Mama Cat is going to go live on a farm.  She is not getting spayed quite yet, our friends need some barn cats.  I'll be sad to see her go but she was rescue cat, she just wandered up one day pregnant....she prefers to be outdoors and she can be on this farm and have a place to go when it rains.  She should be very happy. 
 
Our dog disappeared during our move.  She left our old house, must have gotten out under the fence.  We looked around for her but one of the farms around probably took her in.  Most of our neighbors in the area knew Brownie, we all know each other to wave at each other and to know each other's outdoor dogs but few knew we had a new dog.   It's funny how you "know" folks by their animals....LOL that's how you know you live in the country.   There has been someone at the old house almost daily as it is being redone for one of our church members to live in.  I thought the dog might come back and we put out food for her but no one has seen her.  The way our friends "found" her is that she just wandered up to them.  Seems that is her MO. 
 
 
Well we have discovered the joys of Netflix- I'm pretty much addicted!   I've never been much of a tv watcher, I'd rather read a book than anything but I'm enjoying Netflix way too much!  I'm restricting myself to a move a day now so I can get things done :)  Today I watched "From Here to Eternity"  Yesterday I watched one of the "High School Musicals" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Men in Black II" .  You see why I'm restricting myself!    We've watched some classics like "Footloose", "Urban Cowboy" "Saturday Night Fever"  All had way more cussing than I remembered!  One movie we really enjoyed was a WWII "The Man Who Never Was"  Watch it, it tells a story about a real turning point in the war. 
 
I did get something done today
 
21 meals (22 if you count the ones she ate for supper)  put away in the freezer for Sarah.  Beef stew, Taco chili and chicken noodle soup.  Everything is pureed and ready to go, just needs to be heated up for her.   I love doing her meals so I know she is eating good.  Buying baby food or soups to puree doesn't make me feel like she is getting good nutrition.  It's challenging to have a child who can't/won't chew.  There are many meals that can't be pureed for her like sandwiches, or pizza....  So I worry about her getting enough calories and the right kind of calories.  In the meals I make for her, I add a lot to them and make them thick.  For breakfast, she usually eats oatmeal or grits and always has a bowl of applesauce.  She gets at least one  Pedisure a day with a banana and some other fruit in it-usually  strawberries or blueberries.  . She also likes yogurt, I buy the big containers so she can have plenty, those little cups are not big enough for her.  I love the squeezable fruits, I buy boxes of them for her to have.  She will ONLY drink Capri Sun pouches.  So we get the kind that has a full fruit/veggie serving.  If she runs out of them, I have to feed her her drink spoon by spoon.  I don't understand her at all.  I've tried using the straws from the juice box but she will not drink from them out of a cup.  I literally have to spoon feed her the drinks.  You can be sure we do not run out of juice boxes very often!  I do have to feed her the pedisure with a spoon, she will not take it any other way...so I sit there and do it.  I tried to wait her out one day but she absolutely refused to drink and cried so I was more afraid of her getting dehydrated, even tho all her food is pureed...so I gave it to her after lunch when she wouldn't drink!! 
 
 
Well this week continues to be busy.  Tomorrow Selah has an appointment in Tampa in the afternoon.  We'll probably get rained on.  Seems to happen every time we go in the afternoon. Thursday the cats are all going to the vet- that'll be fun.....    Steve has an appointment on Friday at his college, he's signing up for classes, buying books and we are meeting with financial aid. Saturday we are in a Variety Show at our church 
 
 
 
 

Jon and I are actually singing or lip synching to Johnny Cash's song "Jackson"  We have amazing door prizes so if you are in the area, please come.  It will be fun.  Come see us!  You might win a pie! 

11 comments:

  1. Can I be honest? I cringe when I hear that you're not going to get momma cat fixed. Most shelters have a feral barn cat program where the feral cats are free to adopt and the adoption includes free rabies shot and being spayed/neutered. It's a win-win situation. If your friend needs barn cats, that would be the most humane way of going about it vs. allowing momma cat to repeatedly get pregnant and then have litter after litter that will be susceptible to disease and inbreeding and sadly, more unwanted/uncared for litters. Please get momma cat spayed as well. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think its a big issue. I've gotten over 30 cats fixed over the last few years. I'm all for it but since this family wants to experience raising kittens from birth I'm glad for them. It's fun & good for kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredibly irresponsible to use that poor momma cat in order to satisfy your friends curiosity. Again, there are free feral cat programs and the cats make a wonderful addition to a barn. And they are fixed and vetted, eliminating inbreeding, unwanted cats and disease. Seriously, you need to step up to the plate and do the right thing. Tell your friend to get her own cat from a shelter.

      Delete
  3. It is irresponsible not to spay momma now when thousands of cats and kittens are killed in shelters monthly along the I4 corridor alone. They can adopt a momma with newborns from a shelter and get the same experience and then the shelter will fix them when old enough. Please reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked at how people respond to something so natural. I'm good with it and I bet I've probably done more than 30 spays/neutor through the two clinics around here. I bet most people can't boast about that LOL. They call me the crazy cat church lady. So I think one litter won't wreck my record. At least these kittens will have a "job" on the farm. It's not like breeding them for sale.

      Delete
    2. If you ever peeked into the rescue world you wouldn't be shocked though. I have spayed and neutered hundreds in the Orlando area and haven't yet made a dent in the over population problem. Call a few of your local animal controls and just ask what their monthly number for feline euthanasia is. I promise it will be eye opening.

      Delete
  4. Maybe she doesnt like the hard cups, since the pouches are soft? They sell reusable juice pouches at walmart. I know they have a cheaper single version, cant find it online. If I see one at ny local store, I can grab it and ship it to the church if you feel comfortable giving me the address (not going to ahip it to your house, thats too personal of informayion in my opinion). Im sure you could stick a straw down in there, though Im not sure how theyre cleaned and filled. This way you could know for sure what shes drinking (and that its fresh.. Ive seen a lot of things online accusing juice pouches/boxes of having mold in them, not that I know if its true).

    http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Squuoshi-Reusable-Food-Pouches-Large-8-Pack/39505611?type=search

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the Hoyer lift! They are life savers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the Hoyer lift! They are life savers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited to see everyone enjoying the new house! Sarah and her rocker are just PRECIOUS!! And it's so GOOD to see Selah in the hoyer and able to really relax in her room and recliner. Such a huge relief for you and her nursing staff, I'm sure. I had to laugh when you first posted about getting the kitties fixed and sending momma off to the farm- I just knew there was going to be a swarm of angry comments! To each their own, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comments aren't angry. I volunteer with animal rescue and see firsthand how out of control the pet overpopulation is. We also do TNR of outdoor cats and sometimes they need a safer place to be and farm cat is a perfect job for them. When so many die it is a bit selfish to make more because one wants the experience. Rescues always need foster homes so they could easily rescue an already pregnant cat.

      Delete