Thursday, September 17, 2015

Italian Meat Pies

 
 
 
Tonight was Italian meat pies!  This is a bit more work but soooo good.  The recipe comes from Publix.  It's amazing!!!   I didn't take a picture but I also made a Spinach pie.
 
 
 
 
 
Ingredients
10 oz box of chopped spinach (I put in more)
6 slices of salami (we use Applegate brand- no nitrates)
2 pounds of ground meat (1 pd chicken and 1 pd beef)
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
1/4 cup of pimientos drained
1/4 cup of pepperoni (Applegate turkey pepperoni)
1 (13.75 oz) jar bruschetta spread
2 eggs
2 cups Italian blend cheese
1 pie crust (I use Fillo dough)
 
Cook the meat
add the Italian seasoing ( I also use pepper)
Cut into small pieces (I use kitchen scissors) then stir in pepperoni and salami
add the pimientos, spinach and bruschetta.
(You have to defrost and drain the spinach FIRST)
Stir in the eggs and cheese
 
Then put it in the pie crust
(you can top it with another crust)
or roll it in the Fillo dough
(I spray the top with olive oil)
Bake at 350 till golden brown. 
 
Pie Crust
I use the Fillo dough but you could use anything, even refrigerated crescent   rolls, or just a regular frozen pie crust or make your own.  That's what I'm planning on doing next.
 
For the Spinach Pie
a cup of cooked spinach
1 egg
pepper
1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup of Italian blend cheese
 
 
****** I add flax seed to almost everything- you can't tell it's there and it's good for you!!!!!

 
I cooked the garlic potatoes with it and brownies
 
So I try to use organic ingredients when possible.  The brownies are and use no oil.    The Fillo dough is and quite healthy.  I try to cook good interesting food for my family. 
W e rarely eat out ( in one month only twice for me and twice for Jon, his were work related, mine was for fun!)  We will be eating out as a family this weekend to celebrate Shad's and my birthday but we are trying to keep that to once a month. 
 
We are without a doubt spending far less money and eating a lot  more healthier at home, where I control what goes into our food.  Honestly I like my cooking better than most restaurants, I just wish I could wiggle my nose and it was done and the kitchen cleaned up!  Between diaper changes, housework, eye drops, teachers, therapists, phone calls.....it's hard to cook some days but "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" LOL  I buy very few "easy" foods.  Most of them have stuff in it we don't need so most of our cooking is from scratch or close to it.  I do buy Amy's Organic Bean Burritos for Sam.  When he is hungry, he can't wait, plus he has low blood sugar issues, we have to watch.
 
Hopefully by next spring, I'll get a garden in.  It's been weird not to have one this summer, although last year's wasn't that great either.  I may just have to get chickens too, we'll see.
 
Anyway try this recipe, it's so good!  And thank the kiosk at Publix for the recipe.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment