Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Dirty Shoes



Look at these filthy tennis shoes.  Aren't they beautiful?  They are Sarah's, a former "bed ridden" orphan from Ukraine.  Even though she is not walking on her own, she walks by holding onto us and she plays on her swing set daily.  She will swing herself for an hour at a time, stopping herself by dragging those shoes in the dirt. 

For the first 3 years that we had her, I would give away or take to a consignment store all her outgrown shoes because they looked brand new, NOT anymore I'm proud to say!   I love these dirty tennis shoes and the little girl that wears them!


Sarah is completely blind so she sometimes has a problem falling & staying asleep.  We've chosen to work with her rather than put her on drugs.  So this is what I found recently at 2 am!  She was asleep on the floor.  We check her throughout the night if one of us wakes up.  She is usually quite happy to be up and often thrilled for us to come in!  We are working on this problem by giving her as much outdoor time  and as much physical activity as possible.  It helps but it is a real problem that many blind people face. 

 
 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Well it is time to start a garden.  I'm figuring out how and where the big garden will go in but I've done a few containers.  I am addicted to plants!

 
Left to Right
Christmas Cactus that I've been growing from a small piece I got from a friend. Parsley, Oregano and Lavender.   
 
 
And Shad & I have been fighting the "devil weeds" daily!  We have the absolute worse stinging weeds in our yard that I've ever seen.  There are three main kinds and they are absolutely awful- from the devil himself.  My theory is with all the tons of dirt that was brought in to build up the land since our area is prone to flooding and the sod that was brought in....there were seeds of these "devil weeds" in the dirt.  Some are so shallow that it seem they may have been in the sod itself.   They do seem to cluster together.  While they are not foreign to Florida, I've never ever seen such a growth of them as we have.  They are absolutely ferocious- and affect me awfully.  I got stung yesterday and today while removing them and it gave me chills and make me feel sick on my stomach.  Even with washing and putting cream on, I'm still feeling the effect of it.  We have the most of the front and side yards done.  We just have the back area to do that includes the whole area that stayed underwater last year which has  none of them so we are probably more than halfway done.   We have big plans for the yard this weekend that includes Steve who is going to be home- our first mowing of 2016!  LOL  All these weeds have to be gone otherwise they will spread more.  I had already tried to weed killer on them, didn't make a bit of difference.  I'm telling you they are devil weeds!
(Shad is earning money & he is doing a great job.  He is better than me, he doesn't get stung by them)



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Quick update on our family of five from the Philippines
 
 
 

 
 
 
They are doing good with their new family.  Between our church and this blog $5225 has come in to help the family!!!!  I'm so excited to be able to be involved in this.  Thank you to everyone who has given.  I truly believe God will bless you!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Yvonne, Found this on the University of Florida IFAS site:
    It is our recommendation that GrazonNext HL, Remedy Ultra (or comparable triclopyr ester product), or Pasturegard HL be used for effective control of fireweed. These herbicides can be applied any time of year to warm-season forage grasses. There are no grazing restrictions for beef cattle with these herbicides, but lactating dairy animals must be removed for 0 and 14 days with GrazonNext HL and Remedy Ultra, respectively, and one season for Pasturegard HL.

    Mowing provides no benefit for control of this species. In fact, mowing has been found to result in smaller plants, but with many more stinging hairs. Additionally, the seed is surrounded by a sticky substance that can be transported by mower blades to areas not infested with this weed. (Full article here:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ag252)

    ReplyDelete