Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Bok Tower & Garden

Now I'm going to sound like a Central Florida tour guide.....

A sweet reader, Tracy, from Winter Haven sent us tickets to go to Bok Towers.  She's always sending things for the kids and this was so nice- we could all go. 

Jon was born and raised in Polk County and he'd never been.  I'd never been before either which is hard to believe.  It's like a rite of passage to have gone to Bok Towers and somehow we never did it!  The funny thing, when I first became a probation officer, that was my area.  I could see the Tower from some of the homes I visited.  I hadn't been to that area in years so it was interesting to see how it had grown up.  (the area is not a bad area- it's a small town)







It was my son's girlfriend's birthday weekend so we got to take her too.  
 
 
 
 

Sarah and Sam enjoyed the music from the tower
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
This picture just cracks me up.  We were trying to get all of us into the picture so Lauren did a selfie...It looks like she's saying "Look mom & dad I found this crazy family in Florida!"  






 

 
 
 
 
We had such a good time.  The weather was perfect and the place is beautiful.  They are doing a lot of work to put in a few more garden areas and to expand.  It's a great half day trip if you want something different than Disney.  Bok Towers is probably no more than a 30 minute drive from Disney.
 
Thanks so much for the tickets Tracy!
 
 
============================================================
 
 
We had an amazing speaker at our church this past week.  Sergey is from Russia and he has a ministry called House of Hope. 
 
 
 
 
 
They work with orphans who are too old to stay in their orphanages (ones with no special needs) and they are expanding to take in older orphans with special needs.  They also have a ministry to prisoners and to drug addicts. In the area they are in, it is rural, but there are over 60 prisons.   Our church was very moved by the testimony of the ministry.  I will be sharing more about them again as they set up an easy way to give to their ministry to reach the hopeless of Russia.  (they are affiliated with our church denomination)
 
 
Jon & Sergey
 
 
 
 the rest of us including his translator Igor. 
 
 
After we ate, Jon took them to the woods to see some real life Florida alligators :)  They were rewarded by seeing a HUGE one. 
==================================================
 
 
 
 
This blog is a must read....
A family is fighting to adopt two children-one who has serious health issues.  Issues that can easily be taken care of in the US.  they've adopted before, they know what they are getting into....
 
The family went to their church for support and was turned down....they were told to not adopt this child with these health conditions.....
 
Reading this just broke my heart! 
And it PISSED ME OFF to be very un pastor wife like.....LOL
And it made me want to tell that church "KISS MY GRITS"
 
But more than anything it made me determined to help this family raise their support. 
You'll be hearing more in the days to come but I really want to be a part of this.  If you'd like to give, there are several ways set up that the blog tells you how to do it.  As always if you'd like to give through our church and we'll send one check to them ( I don't do any money transactions on line if I can help it.  Plus I like a "paper trail" of anything that comes in for the Orphan fund)
Grace Church
7060 Berry Road
Zephyrhills Fl 33540
Mark it YASIMINE
 
I will be sharing more about her situation but I wanted to at least get this out today. 
 
 
================================================================
 
 
 
Thank you and have a nice week!


No comments:

Post a Comment