Thursday, January 12, 2017

No Longer Persistent Vegetative Status!




We have HUGE news!   Our neurologist has confirmed what we've believed for awhile.  Selah is no longer diagnosed as being in a Persistent Vegetative Status (PVS)!    She has been UPgraded to Minimally Conscious(MC)!   This is a great big deal as many children like Selah do not progress forward.  It is slow but she is very aware of her surrounding and we believe she recognizes people.

She follows people with her eyes and turns her head to her name most of the time.  She watches tv.  she lets us know if she dislikes something with a scowl and tears too.  there is no doubt if she dislikes things-it is quite clear.

The neurologist was quite pleased with her progress as well as her overall health.

We were told (ie hit over the head) time and time again that she would never ever come out of the coma and have any other diagnosis.  Of course she may never progress any further given her age and other factors but she has come a long way.

We are grateful to God and for your many prayers!

Please still pray for Angela ( my last blog) that a family will step forward in the next few days for her!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news, and you have a lovely blog. God bless you. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why that matters, even though I'm sure you are excited. She still requires 24-hour nursing care. What has changed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it matters because it shows forward motion. Selah was very delayed before the accident like a 1 year old & required help for everything including being fed, diapers, assistance in walking.... We'd love for her to be back to that point. She is not there but she's not where she was 4 years ago. With all three little ones their progress is very very slow. Every good step forward is a blessing
    This is huge also in how her case might be handled by medical personnel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the qualifications for her to be upgraded to the next level higher than MC? Did the doctor state hope for her to continue improving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the next level is -perhaps fully conscious? We've been given no hope of her reaching that

      Delete
  5. It is definitely a big deal!! Happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you've explained the differences before but a rundown on what coma, persistent vegetative state and minimally conscious mean would be greatly appreciated! I'm thrilled she's making progress! Long time follower here. Love getting updates on Miss Selah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m not sure I can explain it. It's mostly about her level of awakeness and awareness.

      Delete
  7. You guys are wonderful parents that I admire so much. I have followed you for a long time. You always encourage me! This is a huge deal. Congratulations!!! You guys are surrounded by God in a special ways, perhaps one purpose I see you fulfilling is being an encouraging example of faithfulness and long suffering, such a very real example you are of the fruit of the Spirit. Continue to live your life for God. My 15 year old son went home tragically to Jesus this fall. Through that though, I feel a totally different perspective that I know I will have for the rest of my life. What you are doing and celebrating matters to God!!! I just love you guys! Can't wait to spend eternity with you guys and your whole, healed children. I feel like we are friends already through your blog. Blessings, Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks so much! Eternity will be so sweet to meet & get to know each other. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  8. So happy to hear that Selah is doing better!

    ReplyDelete